Monopati 04

Απάντηση
wschnell

Monopati 04

Δημοσίευση από wschnell » Τρί 30 Οκτ 2018, 11:48

Hello all,

I am looking for a GPS track of the Monopati 04 since we want to hike from
Thessaloniki to Alexandropolis next year. Could you please point me to
websites with a description and/or track data of the Halkidiki part?

Also, should we hike over the Pangaion or are there nicer ways along the coast?

We will certainly walk into Kavalas and then to Xanthi, and take the E6 from there, so from Xanthi we already have GPS data.

thanks a lot
Walter & Angelika

peternik99

Re: Monopati 04

Δημοσίευση από peternik99 » Τρί 30 Οκτ 2018, 15:03

Hi Walter,

I maintain a web page for O4 https://vision.iti.gr/trails/o4/
You may find the track here https://vision.iti.gr/trails/data/o4/track.gpx

You can certainly bypass Paggaio (e.g. from Amfipoli to Avli in one day) but this means walking exclusively on roads, mostly paved.
Do not hesitate to drop me an e-mail if you have any other questions.

Sotiris

wschnell

Δημοσίευση από wschnell » Τετ 31 Οκτ 2018, 11:31

Thank you so much, Sotiris!

This is *exactly* what I was hoping for: GPS + descriptions. I think in the future (and in the present) signposts are not necessary any more, we can use GPS and leave nature unmarked.

I googled around "monopati 04" and "halkidiki", but did not find your page. So maybe you can put some words into the meta-info on your webpage.

The reason I was asking if there is an alternative to Pagaio is: after 2 weeks of mountaineous terrain my wife and I usually like to walk on flat land for a while. There is a hill between the Egnatia Highway and the coast, from Amfipoli to Kavala, do you know if this is nice?

You say a tent is needed in some places, well, we always have a tent when hiking, but the nice thing is that it sounds as if nobody will complain when we use a tent, right?

Now the only thing missing is info about where we get water; when you write "there is no water on the whole section today" this is extremely valuable info, thank you! Of course, it will depend on the season and no warranties can be given ...

greetings - and thank you so much

Walter & Angelika

peternik99

Δημοσίευση από peternik99 » Τετ 31 Οκτ 2018, 12:32

Hi Walter,

I do not know how it is to go along the hills (Simvolo mountain). It is certainly much longer than taking the paved road on the foothills of Paggaio, the latter is not very busy now with the Egnatia highway. Yes, tent would be OK e.g. by a chappel outside of a village. Water is only problem when crossing Kerdilia mountains (a couple of Dutch trekkers told me that they could not find any) otherwise the sections are relatively short and you can stock up at villages.

Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “Conversations in English”