winter climbing in central greece

Απάντηση
blazinsaddles

winter climbing in central greece

Δημοσίευση από blazinsaddles » Δευ 03 Δεκ 2012, 13:26

My boyfriend and I will be in Greece from December 29th until January 9th and we were hoping to explore many of the natural and archeological sites from Athens to mt. Olympus during this time. I want to hike/ski the backcountry and attempt to summit (?) mt olympus, weather permitting, but we don't have crampons/ snowshoes/ skis with us. Can we rent gear close to the mountain? what are the preferred winter routes? Could we also climb at Meteora during this time, or is it too cold? Are there other climbing sites (crag or boulder) that should not be missed in our brief tour? And are these sites easily accessed by public transit?

Thank you for your suggestions!
Cheers,
Lana

Nikolas_A

Re: winter climbing in central greece

Δημοσίευση από Nikolas_A » Δευ 03 Δεκ 2012, 16:37

Hello Lana,

Unfortunatelly I don't think there's a rental service for such gear in shops here. Maybe from a club or individual. There will be plenty of snow for backcountry skiing even if the snow centers don't have enough by then.

The preffered winter route is from Gortsia through Petrostrouga (hut) to the Mouses plateau (two huts, only one opens in the winter). From there traverse the Zonaria and climb the Mytikas coloir.

You can climb in Meteora on a sunny day, the guide even shows sun exposure of every route. NB it rains a lot in Meteora!

Dozens of crags around Athens, quite a few near Meteora (Mouzaki, Theopetra, Pyli) and a few in between.

Cheers,
Nikolas

Άβαταρ μέλους
yannisdelta

Δημοσίευση από yannisdelta » Δευ 03 Δεκ 2012, 16:49

Hallo Lana
I'm very pleased to hear that you are thinking to visit Greece for mountaineering. Unfortunately there are no shops for renting any equipment. Threfore you have to carry your own by renting or borrowing from your country - by the way where are you coming from?
To summit mt Olympus in winter is very difficult, so you have to be very experienced at winterclimbing. There are 2 classic routes during winter from east (Litohoro-Ghortsia) and from south (Vrysopoules). From east you have to reach Litohoro by public bus or train and then by taxi to get to Ghortsia 1000m, but taxis they do not usually carry skis. From there you have to cross very dense woods by a well difined track up to Mousses Plateau 2650m, where there is the Kakalos hut , a managed hut through the whole year http://olympus-climbing.gr/refuge_en.html. From there you have to climb the Mytikas gully, usually snow to 45o.
If you choose to skin the mountain from the south you have to reach Elassona by public bus and then by taxi (a very long distance - therefore a lot of money)to Vrysopoules 1700m. But to start the route you have to enter the military ski camp area and you need a special permit. There are 2 huts at 2400m and at 2815m without a hutkeeper. From there you reach by skis the Skala summit 2880m and then you have to climb the Skala ridge, exposed mixed rock and snow.
This season it's not so comfortable for climbing because of the cold. If you 're lucky and you have a sunny day you can climb around Athens http://www.routes.gr/?Page=en/Main.
I wish you the best during your visit, if you need more infos do not hesitate to contact again.

blazinsaddles

Δημοσίευση από blazinsaddles » Δευ 03 Δεκ 2012, 17:27

great, thanks for the information, though its a bummer I won't have my skis!
We're coming from the states but headed to warmer climates after Greece, so only our shoes and rack are coming with...

Άβαταρ μέλους
pankan

Δημοσίευση από pankan » Τρί 04 Δεκ 2012, 07:12

Do not go to the mountains. The mountains will be snowy and there is no place to rent equipment.
Head for the cliffs. Choose the most organized ones, meaning cliffs with easily accessible guide books.
I propose Meteora with the monasteries in central Greece, Varasova in the west next to the sea between Patra and Mesolongi, or take the boat for the island of Kalymnos. Each field has its own distinctive character. Google them and you will find information and photos for all of them.

Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “Conversations in English”